No one likes a cliche reboot, I know I don’t! The 1990’s hit TV series, Charmed, ran from 1998 until 2006. Charmed was about three sister witches who kicked demon and warlock butt on an everyday basis while struggling to also keep normal lives. After the show was over, people were curious as to when the show would start up again. On Oct 14, 2018, the hit TV series was once again Charmed by three witches but this time with a shocking surprise. The new charmed wouldn’t include the original cast members! So, as a fan of the original, I took it upon myself to watch the new series and list a few reasons why I believe the original Charmed is so much better!
- The Power of Three; The strongest power is their sisterly bond. In the original show, their bond was unbreakable. Their sisterhood was the strongest power that existed! In this new version of Charmed? Well, I don’t think they’ve quite had it worked out yet.
- Where are the White Lighters? Um, excuse me, but you’re forgetting a pretty huge and very important detail in the show’s lore! A White Lighter is supposed to guide and heal and protect their charges. In this new Charmed, there are instead these so-called “advisors” to help guide witches instead. This is ridiculous! There was no need to change the existence of White Lighters!
- Prue, Paige, what? So, it’s pretty clear that the sisters are not the same as the original. In the original Charmed series, it features the four sisters names Prue, Piper, Phoebe, and Paige. In the original series, Prue died and Piper and Phoebe’s long lost sister magically appeared. In the new Charmed, it was almost as if they mixed the personalities of Prue and Paige together to make an older half-sister played by Madeleine Mantock as Macy Vaughn.
- Totally different powers, that should so not count as part of the Charmed universe! Macy Vaughn, who has Prue’s power of Telekinesis. and Melonie Diaz as Mel Vera had the power of Cryokinesis, but what about Sarah Jeffery as Maggie Vera? Maggie should have Phoebe’s power of receiving premonitions, but instead, has the power of telepathy!? Seriously!?
- Did the original cast get mad at the reboot? Yes! Holly Marie Combs, who played Piper in the original series, got so angry that she made a post on twitter. “Here’s the thing. Until you ask us to rewrite it like Brad Kern did weekly don’t even think of capitalizing on our hard work. Charmed belongs to the four of us, our vast amount of writers, crews and predominantly the fans. FYI you will not fool them by owning a title/stamp. So bye.” she wrote.
I couldn’t agree with you more, Holly!